Monday, March 23, 2015

Spring fever is far worse than March madness!

Spring fever is far worse than March madness!

All I can think about is when will be a good time to start our seeds. I wanted to get greenhouse material out and on the frame. My better half kept telling me it's too early! We could get more snow and the greenhouse would not be able to handle any snow.
We bought a greenhouse kit on a big sale on Amazon and now we know why it was a big sale. It has very thin poles that bend easily which we learned the hard way when it blew across the field after a hard wind blew  through.

I had to secure the greenhouse to the raised beds. I wasn't to happy as I wanted access too all sides of the raised beds. I built the beds 18ft long by 3ft wide and 2ft tall. Our ground has a lot of clay and boulders and digging is no fun at all. We dragged the greenhouse back into place and it worked ok for us last year. It didn't hold up to rain and wind very well and a lot of the seams are starting to fray. I really can't wait to get a real greenhouse built and running but for now we will do what we can to get things going. 

There are all shots from last year and it looks so nice and warm!



I also experimented with a Hügelkultur berm. 
Hügelkultur this will take you to a Wiki page to explain the concept. It worked well for us and I am going to add another one this year. Here is what ours looked like.

I put up a deer fence around the gardens and found out this fall that rabbits can eat through plastic fence and will have to go around with some wire fence this year. 

This is all covered in snow now. It is starting to melt but taking a long time! I want to work the soil and eat fresh food again. We have planned the raised beds already and are waiting a bit to start the seedlings.

Back to work for now another post soon!

Jeffrey Sawyer



No comments:

Post a Comment